The University of Maryland School of Medicine Department of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science (PTRS) is profoundly dedicated to contributing and advancing health care through research. With our faculty, dedicated leadership, and new sponsored funding opportunities, PTRS expects to take evidence based physical therapy and rehabilitation science to new milestones.
- PTRS' Current Funded Research Projects
- PTRS Recent Publications
- Post-DocTraining Program: University of Maryland Advanced Neuromotor Rehabilitation Research Training (UMANRRT)
The UMANRRT program is full and is not accepting new applications at this time. Thank you for your interest.
- Research Events Calendar
Formal research collaborations exist between many local institutions, centers, departments, and universities. Several current collaborations are with the following:
- Gad Alon, PhD, PT
- Larry Forrester, PhD
- Mary Rodgers, PhD, PT, FAPTA
- Mark Rogers, PhD, PT, FAPTA
- Sandy McCombe Waller, PhD, PT
- Doug Savin, PhD, MPT
- Kelly Westlake, PhD, MSc, PT
- Jill Whitall, PhD
PTRS Research Staff
Please also visit our PTRS Research Staff page.
PTRS Research in the News
- PTRS PhD Director, Larry Forrester, PhD, was featured in this segment which ABC2 featured on Nov 11th about Anklebot research at the Baltimore VA. Very appropriate in honor of Veteran's Day. We are proud to be part of this great research and support our many Veterans!
- PTRS researcher, Dr. Sandy McCombe Waller, collaborates with researchers from UMBC utilizing MicroSoft's Lab of Things
- Advances in Aging in Fall 2008
- SOM-PTRS Researchers Receive NIH Funding to Further Develop New In-Home Stroke Rehabilitation Device
Postdoctoral Fellow Resources
- Postdoctoral Fellows Policy Document
- Postdoctoral Fellows Policy Q & A Document
- UMB Post-Doc Network / Scholars Office
The following links are intended to provide information and resources that will allow the researcher to work with increased efficiency and effectiveness in the preparation, processing, and management of sponsored projects, and to promote full compliance with UMB and Sponsor requirements. A great place to start is the Office of Research and Development (ORD).
- SOM Grant Funding Consultation Service - http://medschool.umaryland.edu/career/consultation.asp
- Pivot - http://pivot.cos.com/funding_main - Pivot identifies and connects funding opportunities to researchers. Pivot combines the most comprehensive, editorially maintained database of funding opportunities worth an estimated $33 billion with a unique database of 3 million pre-populated scholar profiles, drawing from Community of Scholars and Community of Science profiles. Its proprietary algorithm compiles pre-populated researcher profiles unique to your organization (and others) and matches them to current funding opportunities in the expansive COS database. This allows users to search for a funding opportunity and instantly view matching faculty from inside or outside your institution. Conversely, a search for a scholar will link to matching funding opportunities.
Finding Collaborators at UMB
- SciVal - http://umaryland.pure.elsevier.com/ - SciVal resource for finding collaborators and publications of UMB researchers
- VA Research Policies - http://www.research.va.gov/resources/policies/by_service.cfm
- PubMed - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed - PubMed is a free resource that is developed and maintained by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), located at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). PubMed comprises over 24 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. PubMed citations and abstracts include the fields of biomedicine and health, covering portions of the life sciences, behavioral sciences, chemical sciences, and bioengineering. PubMed also provides access to additional relevant web sites and links to the other NCBI molecular biology resources.
- “Sponsor specific” NIH Grants Process Overview - http://grants.nih.gov/grants/grants_process.htm
Please note the link to all USM/UM Policies at http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/tableofContents.cfm. While many pertinent USM/UM policies may be linked in this subsections, it is important that the link to all of the USM/UM policies be provided.
- Checklist and Notes for Kuali COEUS grant submissions to Grants.gov - http://www.umaryland.edu/media/umb/ord/documents/spa/KC_ProposalChecklist.pdf
- Clinical Trials and Corporate Contracts - http://www.umaryland.edu/cct/
- Developing grant proposals – tools for Investigators - http://www.umaryland.edu/spa/developing-proposals/
- HRPO Investigator Manual - http://www.umaryland.edu/hrp/for-researchers/investigator-manual/ - This resource guides the Investigator through policies and procedures related to the conduct of Human Research. All individuals involved in research are expected to be knowledgeable of and follow the guidance outlined in the Investigator Manual
- HRPO for Researchers - http://www.umaryland.edu/hrp/for-researchers/
- Human Research Protections - http://www.umaryland.edu/hrp/institutional-review-board-irb/
- Human Research Protections Education and Training - http://www.umaryland.edu/hrp/for-researchers/required-training/ - Mandatory training for research involving human subjects. You must complete the training prior to submission to IRB.
- Kuali COEUS - http://www.umaryland.edu/kualicoeus/ - (UMB’s enterprise system for electronic research administration)
- Principal Investigator Quick Reference: What PIs need to know - http://www.umaryland.edu/ord/resources-for-investigators/principal-investigator-quick-reference/
- Proposal Writing Resources - http://www.umaryland.edu/ord/resources-for-investigators/proposal-writing-resources/
- Record Retention for Research - http://www.umaryland.edu/spa/award-management/record-retention/
- Resources for Investigators - http://www.umaryland.edu/ord/resources-for-investigators/
- UMB Code of Ethics and Conduct - http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=334§ion=all
- UMB Notice of Nondiscrimination - http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=160
- UMB Office of Compliance and Accountability - Report a Concern - http://www.umaryland.edu/oac/report-a-concern/
- UMB Office of Research Development - http://www.ord.umaryland.edu/policies_procedures/
- UMB Policy Prohibiting Sexual Misconduct and Sex and Gender-Based Discrimination - http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=428
- UMB Procedures for Adjudicating Complaints Against Students of Sexual Misconduct and Sex and Gender-Based Discrimination http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=430
- UMB Procedures for Adjudicating Complaints Against UMB Personnel of Sexual Misconduct and Sex and Gender-Based Discrimination - http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=429
- UMB Research and Development Policies and Procedures (UMB/USM/SPA/Federal Regulations) - http://www.umaryland.edu/spa/policies-and-procedures/
- UMB Whistleblower Policy on Reporting Fiscal Irregularities, Illegal Activity, and Violations of Policy - http://cf.umaryland.edu/umpolicies/usmpolicyInfo.cfm?polid=335§ion=all
- Grant deadlines for various sponsors - http://medschool.umaryland.edu/career/deadlines.asp - This resource helps determine when grants are due for the various sponsoring entities.
- PTRS AED Procedures in Allied Health Building - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_595_1&content_id=_701797_1
- PTRS Institutional Review Board (IRB) Internal Review - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_595_1&content_id=_708647_1 - Please note that prior to submitting anything to the IRB investigators must complete mandatory training - Please see http://www.umaryland.edu/hrp/for-researchers/required-training/.
- PTRS Internal Grants Timeline - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_595_1&content_id=_708508_1 - This resource helps establish the internal (PTRS) and external (SOM and UMB Campsu) time frames for routing a grant in the department.
- PTRS Procedures for Parking Voucher - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_595_1&content_id=_616327_1
- PTRS Reporting Information to CAPTE - PTRS Procedures Regarding Handling of Complaints Outside of Due Process - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_595_1&content_id=_701794_1
- PTRS Reporting of Injury - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_595_1&content_id=_701796_1
- PTRS Research Study Participant Payment Procedure and Form - On BB Intranet at https://blackboard.umaryland.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContentEditable.jsp?content_id=_618055_1&course_id=_595_1